The canker sore is also known as the Aphthous ulcer. It is an oral ulcer and it has a painful open sore that opens inside the mouth. This may also appear in the upper throat which may be characterized by the break in the mucous membrane. This disease is not contagious. The alternative names to the disease are Aphthous Stomatitis and Sutton’s disease. In 30-40% of the patients the disease is said to be recurrent in nature. Women are more prone to this disease than men.
Create this article
The canker sore ulcer can be idiopathic in nature. Though once the sore appears the intake of citrus fruits, physical trauma, weight loss, lack of sleep, immune system reaction, food allergies and deficiencies of iron, vitamin B12, and folic acid may always contribute to the development of the ulcers. This may sometimes be the side effect of the cow’s milk.
Create this article
The patients with canker sore complain of the following symptoms namely:-
- There may be burning sensation at the infected site where the ulcer may occur later.
- There may be reddish spot or bump.
- Later the red spot opens up to become ulcers.
- The middle of the ulcer appears to be white or yellow in colour. The borders become red and inflamed.
- There may be pain and swelling in the lymph node below the jaw, the pain is often mistaken for the toothache.
- The patient may also complain of fever.
- There may be pain or discomfort in the jaws
You should cut down the regular use of non-alcoholic mouthwash to cut down at the occurrence of the ulcer. Avoid physical traumas such as braces, toothbrush injury or accidental biting of the inside of the mouth. Those with zinc deficiency caused canker sore should be given the daily zinc supplements.
Our users add : Create this article
|Antiseptic Treatment||Modern Medicine|
The treatments include the oral creams and the pills for treating the canker sores. The analgesic, antiseptic and anesthetic agents are best treatment for this disease. There are also anti-inflammatory agents and sucralfate, tetracycline suspension, steroids and silver nitrate.
Get expert advise on pricing, expertise and availability To book a free counselling session
please fill in your details-